26 February 2008

Holy Guacamole

I attribute it to nothing less than a divine intervention that I didn't get sick from all the street food I have devoured.

The ingredients for most the foods today in Mexico are the same as those that were used even before the Aztecs and Mayans ruled the land. Beans, chilis, tomatoes, squash, corn (and therefore tortillas), chocolate, tobacco, and a whole host of other food items grew natively to this part of the world. It is no wonder that the food is so delicious, it has withstood the test of time.

The street food is so delicious, likely due to its preparation in grease, and has become so tempting that I have had to exercise serious restraint to quell my gluttonous tendencies.

Below are mostly street foods. Click to enlarge image.

Pulque, an Aztec favorite that should not have withstood the test of time. It is a fermented corn drink with the consistency of snot. Apparently non-alcoholic, but I didn't drink enough to find out.


Quesodilla. Cheese, mushroom, flour of squash, onion, strips of fried pork, and a few other delicious items that slip my mind.


Sope. The brown stuff are beans.


Blue corn tortilla tacos.


Great assortment of condiments: various salsas, pickled items, cactus, etc.

Al Pastor. Slow roasted BBQ pork shaved into a tortilla for tacos.


Holy lord save me now. This was the most amazing sandwich I have ever seen. Called 'Cemita.' It is stacked seriously tall, at least 5 or 6 inches.


Chalupas. Fried in grease and red salsa and stacked on top each other with strips of chicken in between.


Gordita on top, Taquitos slathered in salsa and guacamole, and Churro on bottom. Churro is fried and rolled around in sugar and cinnamon.

Mole Poblano. Typical food of the Peubla area. The flavor is very complex, nutty and chocolatey. With a hint of spiceyness.

5 comments:

Auntie Gina said...

Hi M&M.

Holy Cow, you guys may start to moooo soooooon. The food looks amazing. Mole is U. Mando's favorite.

Is there really a Golden Quetzal or is it like the Golden Snitch, a fairy tale?

Keep up the blog!

Love,
Auntie

Anonymous said...

damn, I got diahreah just looking at those! But as it is with mexican food, it was worth it.

Alex

Anonymous said...

lots of food . whats your weight now. oink -oink

Mike M. said...

I know right? I can't help myself the food is so gooood.

Mike M. said...

Gina,

Yeah, it's like a fairy tale, thanks for your comment. We'll be sure to eat Mole for Mando.